Ways to Expedite Immigration to the UK

Immigrating to another country such as the United Kingdom is not an overnight process. In some cases, it can take years to become a legal resident. Fortunately, there are ways to expedite immigration into the UK.

UK Ancestor

If you have a close relative, such as a grandparent, who is a citizen of the UK, then you can apply for a UK Ancestry Visa. This visa allows you entry into the country to stay and work here for up to five years without work restrictions. The requirements to get this visa are that:

  • You’re a commonwealth citizen.
  • You must be at least 17 years of age.
  • A grandparent or parent must have been born in the UK, the Isle of Man, or the Channel Islands.

Along with these requirements, you must be entering the country to work. Also, you must be able to support yourself and any dependents who are moving with you.

Right of Abode

If you have a parent who was born in the UK and you’re a commonwealth citizen who was born prior to 1983, then you may be able to claim the right of abode. This means that you can enter the UK without a visa and can live and work here without any restrictions on immigration.

To prove that you have the right to abode, you need a UK passport showing that you’re either a British citizen or British subject. If you don’t have that, then you will need to apply for a Certificate of Entitlement. To get more information about the right to abode, consider retaining the services of the best immigration solicitors in London, UK.

Non-Commonwealth Citizens

If you’re not a commonwealth citizen, then you can still immigrate with few restrictions if you’re from a country in the European Economic Area or Switzerland. Commonwealth citizens are those who live in countries such as Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the British Virgin Islands, and many other countries that are voluntarily aligned with the UK. However, once the UK exits the EU, then immigration laws regarding EEA citizens will likely change as well.

If you don’t come from the EU, then you will need to go through traditional channels to immigrate to the UK. However, if you’re moving here for a job, then your employer may be able to expedite your entry into the country to work and live here.

It is important to check current immigration laws to find out what you need to do if you’re interested in moving to the UK and establishing residency. While it can take several years to become a citizen, if you have a job lined up or are financially self-sufficient, entry into the country may only take a few weeks to a few months.

Previous Let an Experienced Solicitor Fight for You
Next How Can A Criminal Attorney Long Island Help You?